The Penn Quakers show their appreciation for their loyal student fans on Saturday, Sept. 26, with their Student Day home opener against the University of Richmond. But Saturday's game isn't the only "Student Day" that weekend. Penn student organizations and University offices will join forces to present something for everyone during "There's No Place Like Penn," a weekend-long festival of food, entertainment, games and general fun to welcome new and returning students to campus. Here's the rundown on the weekend's events:
Thursday, Sept. 24
- DOUBLE FEATURE UNDER THE STARS: Join Y-100 deejays for a screening of "From Russia with Love" at 8 p.m. and "Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery" at 10 p.m. on College Green.
Friday, Sept. 25
- ACTIVITIES DAY: Learn about Penn's panoply of student activities from noon to 4 p.m. on Locust Walk.
- FREE CONCERT: Philly fave Fathead headlines a SPEC Concerts presentation from 7 to 11 p.m. in Hamilton Village (formerly Superblock).
Saturday, Sept. 26
- BED RACE: The Recreation Department presents the second annual undergraduate bed race down Locust Walk in Hamilton Village. Start time 11 a.m. To enter, stop by the Recreation Department offices in Gimbel Gym or call 898-6100.
- PRE-GAME BRUNCH 'N MUNCH: The Residential Advisory Board hosts a warm-up brunch before the Penn-Richmond game, starting at noon on Locust Walk next to Chats. Rain location: inside Chats.
- POST-GAME GRILL 'N CHILL: The General Alumni Society's post-game chowdown begins at 4:30 p.m. on College Green.
- SENIOR SCREAMER: The first of the year, following a "Class Action" trip to the Merriam Theater for this evening's performance of "Rent." Curtain time 8 p.m.; Screamer follows.
Sunday, Sept. 27
- CLASS ACTIONS: Special outings for the freshman, sophomore and junior classes. For the frosh, it's a Sunday matinee performance of "Rent" at the Merriam Theater at 2 p.m.; for the sophomores, it's a shopping spree at the Court and Plaza at King of Prussia, departing at 1 p.m.; for the juniors, it's a trip to New York City, departure time to be determined.
All events are free except for the "Class Actions" outings. Tickets for "Class Actions" can be purchased on Locust Walk Sept. 21-25. Visit the "No Place Like Penn" home page
for more details.
Front page for this issue | Pennsylvania Current home page | What's On
Originally published on September 17, 1998