Penn’s Class of 1923 Arena, at 3130 Walnut St., is the largest collegiate ice hockey arena in Pennsylvania. In 1968, a group called the “Friends of Pennsylvania Hockey” and the Class of 1923, led by Howard Butcher III, decided to donate the $3.2 million dollar facility to the University. Upon its completion in 1972, Butcher, John Cleveland and Bill R. Wise had developed the largest class donation in Penn’s history.
In this edition of By The Numbers, we skate through the Class of 1923 Arena.
Winter in which Penn began playing ice hockey. The team played in a four-team Intercollegiate Hockey League, which included Yale, Brown and Columbia.
Number of seats in the area.
Amount of square feet in the arena. Made primarily of poured concrete, it is supported by four 22-foot concrete columns around the exterior.
85 by 200
Size, in feet, of the ice surface. It totals 18,000 square feet.
The Penn ice hockey team’s record during the 1971-1972 season, the best of their varsity years.
Years in which the arena was operated by Comcast-Spectacor. The Penn Athletics Department ran the facility from 1972 to 1980, and the Business Services Division has run it since 1983.
Average nightly attendance during the Penn ice hockey team’s first season at the Class of 1923 Arena.
Number of people that can fit into the Arena’s Quaker Room, a VIP area overlooking the ice surface that provides heated comfort and privacy during public skating sessions.
Originally published on November 12, 2009