Opened in 1952, Dietrich Hall was The Wharton’s School’s first building constructed exclusively for the business school. Named after D. Wellington Dietrich, the uncle of Wharton alumni and donors H. Richard and Daniel W. Dietrich, it was one of the first campus buildings erected after World War II.
Before the construction of the Quad in 1894, Penn had maintained just a few small dorms because the majority of students were local residents who commuted to campus. As Penn began to expand and offer new academic programs, accepting more students from across the country and the world, the University began building more dorms. Additions to the Quad’s complex of buildings were completed in 1929.