In honor of the Weave Bridge that will connect athletic fields to a park, we decided to turn an eye to another important campus bridge. The Class of 1949 Generational Bridge, as it’s now known, shuttles pedestrians above 38th Street, helping to connect the main campus to Hamilton Village and beyond. Originally constructed in 1971, the poured concrete bridge was renovated and rededicated in 2001, with the addition of pavers commemorating important Penn donors. The bridge is also sometimes called Women’s Walkway.
For more on this, go to the University Archives web site at www.archives.upenn.edu.
Originally published on October 16, 2008