Spirited performances from musical legends both past and present are among the featured items on the "World Cafe" menu for the next two weeks. Among them: steel-guitar virtuoso Junior Brown and reggae superstar Bob Marley. Here's the complete rundown:
- Thursday, Jan. 28 Junior Brown talks with David Dye and performs songs from his latest album, "Long Walk Back"
- Friday, Jan. 29 Beth Orton visits Tongue & Groove Studios to preview music from her forthcoming release "Central Reservation"
- Monday, Feb. 1 An encore presentation of Chris Isaak's studio visit
- Tuesday, Feb. 2 A performance and interview with Billy Joe Shaver
- Wednesday, Feb. 3 A celebration of the words and music of Bob Marley
- Thursday, Feb. 4 Golden Smog performs tunes from its new album "Weird Tales" at Tongue & Groove Studios
- Friday, Feb. 5 Soul Coughing drops by to perform music from its latest release, "El Oso"
- Monday, Feb. 8 An encore presentation of Robert Earle Keen's studio visit
- Tuesday, Feb. 9 An interview with Wes Cunningham, featuring songs from "Twelve Ways to Win People to Your Way of Thinking"
- Wednesday, Feb. 10 California pop-twang band Duke Daniels visits the studio
"The World Cafe", which is heard on more than 100 public radio stations nationwide, is produced by WXPN-FM (88.5) and airs locally from 2 to 7 p.m. weekdays. All live appearances air during the 3 to 4 p.m. hour.
Front page for this issue | Pennsylvania Current home page
Originally published on January 28, 1999