Time to catch up with Ireland's foremost traditional band, the Chieftains, and with those masters of "Jewish jazz," the New Orleans Klezmer All-Stars, on "The World Cafe" these next two weeks. Of course, that's not all that's happening on the show:
- Thursday, May 13 Elliot Smith performs music from his album "XO"
- Friday, May 14 David Dye visits with the Chieftains and James Galway
- Monday, May 17 An encore presentation of Rufus Wainwright's Cafe visit
- Tuesday, May 18 The Cafe welcomes Richard Julian for an interview and performance with music from his new CD, "Smash Palace"
- Wednesday, May 19 David Dye presents a special "What's New in the Blues"
- Thursday, May 20 Maverick recording artist Jude performs music from his debut album, "No One Is Really Beautiful"
- Friday, May 21 Singer/songwriter Cheryl Wheeler visits the Cafe and plays music from her latest release, "Sylvia Hotel"
- Monday, May 24 An encore presentation of Steve Earle and the Del McCoury Band's visit to the World Cafe
- Tuesday, May 25 The New Orleans Klezmer All-Stars drop by for a performance and interview.
- Wednesday, May 26 Gene Shay presents a special "Folk Report" from the Kerrville Folk Festival.
"The World Cafe", which is heard on more than 100 public radio stations nationwide, is produced by WXPN-FM (88.5) and airs locally from 2 to 7 p.m. weekdays. All live appearances air during the 3 to 4 p.m. hour.
Front page for this issue | Pennsylvania Current home page | What's On
Originally published on May 13, 1999