Here's a chance to combine exercise and fun this summer - the Village Volleyball series in front of Harrison College House, 39th and Irving streets, Hamilton Village. From 3 to 6 p.m. every Tuesday through July 27, you can join your Penn colleagues for free volleyball games (nets and balls provided) and surprise contests such as "All the Slush You Can Drink," "Spelling Bee," and "Memorize Pi to the 50th Decimal." All you need to bring besides yourself is your PennCard. For more information e-mail vross@ sas.upenn.edu or call 573-9054.
And since it's summer, it's time for camp. Penn's Athletic Department offers day, extended day and residential camps in a number of sports, led by Penn's coaching staff and expert athletes. In addition to learning the fundamentals of each sport, campers will also explore Penn campus attractions and engage in other activities. Here's the rundown on this year's camps:
- QUAKER BASKETBALL CAMP: For boys and girls ages 7-18. 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. weekdays. Two one-week sessions: Monday, June 21 to Friday, June 25 and Monday, June 28 to Friday, July 2. Cost per session $175, Penn faculty/staff children $150. Info: 215-898-6142.
- CHEERLEADING: All-day camp runs from Thursday, Aug. 12 to Sunday, Aug. 15. Call 610-828-8643 for costs and information.
- CREW: 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily; residential option available. Two sessions: Sunday, July 18 to Wednesday, July 21 (girls only) and Wednesday, Aug. 4 to Saturday, Aug. 7 (boys and girls). Cost per session $545 with housing, $475 extended day. Info: 215-898-6283.
- FENCING: Residential camp for boys and girls. Two one-week sessions: Sunday, July 25 to Saturday, July 31 and Sunday, August 1 to Saturday, August 7. Cost $495, housing included. Info: 215-898-6116.
- FIELD HOCKEY: For girls of all ages. 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily from Sunday, June 20 to Thursday, June 24. Cost $375. Info: 215-898-6308.
- GYMNASTICS: For boys and girls. 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. weekdays. Five one-week sessions; new sessions begin every Monday from June 14 to July 19 (week of July 5 excluded). Cost per session $200. Info: 215-898-5316.
- SOCCER: For boys and girls ages 7-14. 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily from Monday, July 19 to Friday, July 23. Cost $200, Penn faculty/staff children $175. Info: 215-898-4815.
Front page for this issue | Pennsylvania Current home page
Originally published on May 27, 1999