Dr. Amy B. Jordan, Annenberg Public Policy Center,
Annenberg School for Communication, University of Pennsylvania
* The impact of television watching on the growing problem of childhood obesity
* The amount and quality of television for children on commercial, public and cable TV
* Parents' and children's use of and attitudes toward television/movies
"Heavy television viewing is widely seen by experts as one of the causes of childhood overweight. Wouldn't it be wonderful if, through programs like this, it could become part of the solution?"
Dr. Terri Lipman, associate professor, School of Nursing, University of Pennsylvania
* In-depth research on growth in children
* Childhood obesity, as it relates to type 1 diabetes
"Multiple interventions for children who are obese have failed, in part, because there is a dearth of culturally appropriate, culturally relevant strategies. Perhaps Shaquille O'Neal's new program will view the causes and treatment of childhood obesity through a different lens, and will succeed where many others have failed."