Will Smith's new movie, "The Pursuit of Happyness," tells the true story of a single father struggling to stay above the poverty line who ends up homeless. This film draws attention to the national issues of poverty and homelessness.
Experts and Credentials:
Dr. Roberta Iversen
Associate Professor, School of Social Policy and Practice, University of Pennsylvania
* Researched poverty in the U.S., finding nearly 25% of American workers with two full-time working parents in the household do not earn enough to support their families
* Author of "Jobs Aren't Enough: Toward a New Economic Mobility for Low-Income Families"
* Well-respected, highly credible authority in wage disparities, insufficient wages, the minimum wage and low-income families
Dr. Dennis Culhane
Professor, School of Social Policy and Practice, University of Pennsylvania
* Nationally recognized expert in homelessness and housing policy
* Research has been instrumental in a national shift in how society addresses homelessness
* Has worked with the City of New York to better understand its homeless issues and how the lack of affordable housing can lead to homelessness