Dr. Yasmin Kafai
Professor, Graduate School of Education
University of Pennsylvania
• Dr. Kafai contributed to the National Education Technology Plan.
• Nationally recognized researcher in learning and computer and information science, including virtual worlds and online games
• Author of “Minds in Play: Computer Game Design as a Context for Children’s Learning,” which established the foundation for initiatives on games and learning in the U.S. and Europe, and “Beyond Barbie and Mortal Kombat: New Perspectives on Gender and Gaming”
• Studies the daily life and learning opportunities in Whyville.net, a virtual world that is home to 3.3 million players aged 8-16.
• She has also studied ‘tweens’ activities in games/virtual worlds, including gender play and romantic relationships.
The National Education Technology Plan is available at: www.ed.gov/technology/netp-2010.