The Wharton Business Plan Competition has announced the eight finalists who will vie for $116,000 in prizes at the annual Venture Finals (http://bpc.wharton.upenn.edu/) taking place Wednesday, April 27, 2011 at the Wharton Schoolâs Jon M. Huntsman Hall, on the University of Pennsylvania campus. The event is free and open to the public.
The Wharton Business Plan Competition âGreat Eightâ finalists are:
1. Baby.com.br: Brazil's âone-stop-shopâ for baby products online with free 24 hour delivery
2. BOSS Medical: New device for lower cost, lower risk gold standard spinal fusion
3. Cyrano Nasal Science: Drug therapy for nasal allergies (i.e. hay fever)
4. DictionarySquared: Fun and interactive way to help high school students learn vocabulary in preparation for the SAT
5. Flipables: Low cost, hygienic footwear designs for spas, gyms, and resorts
6. Next Generation Phlebotomy: Novel medical device for more efficient blood drawing
7. Pledge4Good: Mobile application that allows users to pledge money for charity for personal goals achieved e.g. weight loss, smoking cessation, cursing
8. Stylitics: Innovative market research techniques to help clothing brands better understand customers
Over the years, the Wharton Business Plan Competition, which is open to any University of Pennsylvania student and managed by Wharton Entrepreneurial Programs, has seen numerous student teams go on to become successful businesses including Warby Parker, Kembrel, PetPlan USA, PayMyBills.com, BuySafe, NetConversions, Innova Dynamics, and MicroMRI. More information about past participants is available on the Wharton BPC Web site: http://bpc.wharton.upenn.edu.
Click here to view the full release.