PHILADELPHIA â€“- Hundreds of education journalists will gather at the University of Pennsylvania Graduate School of Education for the 65th Education Writers Associationâ€™s national seminar tomorrow through Saturday.
â€śReporters, researchers and scholars all have unique perspectives on what makes educational improvement so challenging,â€ť Andy Porter, Penn GSE dean, said. â€śWorking together on a seminar like this lets us address the most consequential topics in the field in a way that improves reporting and research.â€ť
Co-sponsored by Penn GSE and the American Educational Research Association, a Washington-based research association for 25,000 scholars engaged in research in education and learning, this yearâ€™s seminar will cover such topics as school violence, college spending, principal leadership, improving community colleges, dropouts, college affordability, absenteeism, affirmative action, charter schools, online learning, summer learning loss and early education research.
- Porter will discuss â€śShifting States: Whatâ€™s in Store from Common Core,â€ť Thursday at 11:45 a.m. in Houston Hallâ€™s Hall of Flags, and â€śWhat About Principals?â€ť at 3:55 p.m. in the Ben Franklin Room.
- Richard Ingersoll will talk about â€śTomorrowâ€™s Teacher: Paths to Prestige and Effectivenessâ€ť Friday at 9 a.m. in Houston Hallâ€™s Bodek Lounge.
- Laura Perna and Joni Finney will address â€śNew Research on State Policy and College-Going Gapsâ€ť Friday at 10:45 a.m. in Irvine Auditoriumâ€™s Amado Recital Room.
- Yasmin Kafai will discuss video games and their role in helping children learn with â€śSerious Fun: Making, Not Playing, Games for Learningâ€ť Saturday at 8 a.m. in Houston Hallâ€™s Class of â€™49 Room.
- Shaun Harper will talk about â€śLooking at Patterns of Success, Not Failureâ€ť Saturday at 9:30 a.m. in Houston Hallâ€™s Ben Franklin Room.
Newark Mayor Cory Booker will deliver the keynote address during the Buskin lecture and luncheon Friday at 12:30 p.m. in the Hall of Flags in Houston Hall.