WHAT: The Taste of Penn will offer University of Pennsylvania students the opportunity to sample and rate a variety of healthy dishes made with locally sourced ingredients from 12 area vendors.
Based on an Olympic theme in honor of Pennâ€™s Year of Games, the event will feature recipes using My Plate, the federal governmentâ€™s new dietary guide that replaces the food pyramid. Students will be given gold, silver and bronze coins to use to vote for their favorite recipes.
The featured recipes will include:
- Yogurt Parfait Panna Cotta, an alternative breakfast entreee;
- Blackened Tofu and Roasted Red Pepper Sauce on a Bed of Cucumber and Tomato Slaw
- Creole Beef Grillades and Cheese Grits
- Brown Rice Balls Stuffed with roasted eggplant tomato filling
- Pear- Ginger Salsa Tostada
WHO: Chefs with Bon Appetit, Pennâ€™s dining hall vendor, will each feature a dish using a local product supplied by area growers and one of the main categories of the plate -- dairy, protein, grain, fruit or vegetable -- so that students can try new recipes for next year.
WHERE: Bodek Lounge, Houston Hall
3417 Spruce St.
WHEN: 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tuesday, April 24