Eric J. Griffin discovers the rhetorical strategies through which the Hispanophobic perspectives now known as the Black Legend of Spanish Cruelty were written into English cultural memory.
2009 | 304 pages | Cloth $59.95
View main book page
Table of Contents
List of Illustrations
Introduction: The Specter of Spain
1. From Ethos to Ethnos
2. A Long and Lively Antithesis
3. Thomas Kyd's Tragedy of "the Spains"
4. Marlowe Among the Machevills
5. Shakespeare's Comical History
6. Othello's Spanish Spirits: Or, Un-sainting James
Afterword: A Natural Enemy