A Nation of Women provides a history of the significance of gender in Lenape/Delaware encounters with Europeans, and a history of women in these encounters.
2009 | 264 pages | Cloth $39.95 | Paper $24.95
View main book page
Table of Contents
Introduction: "We Are But a Women Nation"
1. The Power of Life: Gender and Organization in Lenape Society
2. Living Traditions in Times of Turmoil: Meniolagomekah
3. Powerful Women: Disruptive and Disorderly Women
4. Mapping the Future: Women and Visions
5. Metaphors and National Identity: Delawares-as-Women
6. What the Hermit Saw: Change and Continuity in the History of Gender and Encounters
List of Abbreviations