1998 | 240 pages | Cloth $55.00
View main book page
Table of Contents
Preface: Promoting the Worldwide Use of Medicinal Plants
—Timothy R. Tomlinson
MEDICINAL PLANTS, SCIENTIFIC PROGRESS, AND DEVELOPMENT
1. A Case History of Plant-Derived Drug Research: Phyllanthus and Hepatitis B Virus
—Baruch S. Blumberg, M.D.
2. An Expanded Program for Medicinal Plants
—Olayiwola Akerele, M.D.
MEDICINAL PLANTS IN THE SOCIOECONOMIC CONTEXT
3. Exploiting Medicinal Plants: Why Do It the Hard Way?
—Nathan Sivin, Ph.D.
4. Safety, Efficacy, and the Use of Medicinal Plants
—Norman R. Farnsworth, Ph.D.
5. Economics and Medicinal Plants
—Peter P. Principe
6. The Medicinal Plant Marketplace
—Robert S. McCaleb
CONSERVATION: ISSUES AND FUTURE PROSPECTS
7. Linking Ethnopharmacology and Tropical Forest: Conservation in Belize
—Michael J. Balick, Ph.D.
8. Exploitation of Medicinal Plants
—Akhtar Husain, Ph.D.
9. Agronomics and Medicinal Plants
—Dan Palevitch, Ph.D.
10. The Role of Botanical Gardens and Arboreta in Traditional Medicine: A Personal Reflection and Case Study
—William McKinley Klein, Jr., Ph.D.
PROMISING PRACTICES IN THE USE OF MEDICINAL PLANTS
11. The Legal Situation of Phytomedicines in Germany
—Barbara Steinhoff, Ph.D.
12. Indonesia: The Utilization of Medicinal Plants for Primary Health Care
—Djoko Hargono, Ph.D.
13. Ethnopharmacological Surveys in Brazilian Extractive Reserves
—Elaine Elisabetsky, Ph.D.
14. Traditional Korean Medicine
—Chong-Yul Kim, Ph.D.
15. Utilization and Conservation of Medicinal Plants in China with Special Reference to Atractylodes lancea
16. Medicinal Plants in the Philippines
—Nelia P. Cortes-Maramba, M.D.
17. Promising Practices in the Use of Medicinal Plants in the United States
—Ara H. Dermarderosian, Ph.D.
18. Medicinal Plants and Phytomedicines within the European Community
—Hubertus Cranz, Ph.D.
19. The Evolving Status of Herbals and Phytomedicines in the United States
—Robert G. Pinco, Esq.
A. WHO Guidelines for the Assessment of Herbal Medicines
B. A Recommendation for Governments around the World
List of Contributors