Employment Opportunities with PennRec
PennRec is constantly looking for energetic and highly qualified people to be involved in the expansion of our services and programs. Click on the tab below to view the description and availability for each position.
Membership Services Representative
Recreation Facility is currently seeking a part-time Membership Representative who would be willing to work anywhere from 10 to 20 hours per week in our Membership Services Office. We are seeking someone who would be willing to work through the through the summer and well into next year.
All Membership Representatives works closely with the Assistant Director of Membership & Marketing and is responsible for performing all membership, locker and program sales, supplying members with information about programs and facilities and other general administrative duties as assigned.
Shift hours run from 8:30 am to 1:30 pm and 1:30 to 5:30 pm Monday through Friday. No weekend work required!
- Excellent Customer Service & Multi-tasking Skills
- Culturally Competent Communicator
- Critical Thinking Skills
- Basic Knowledge of Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, etc)
- At least 6 months of office experience performing basic administrative tasks
- A desire or interest in the Recreation/Sports Management industry
- Interest in Marketing/Advertisement
- Live in close proximity to University City
Climbing Wall Attendant
Responsible for the daily operation and safety and risk management of climbers using the wall. Sign in climbers, inspect equipment, and educate patrons on our classes and upcoming events. Looking for someone who is able to work 10-20 hours per week with opportunities for additional work with climbing instruction, route setting as well as parties and special events. Must be available during evenings and possibly weekends. Click here to apply.
Outdoor Adventure Assistant Guide
The Outdoor Adventure Assistant Guide is responsible for helping to plan and co-lead outdoor adventure trips for the Penn community. Duties will include trip planning, marketing of trips, equipment maintenance, logistical support, and co-leading groups on various day or multi-day outdoor adventure trips. Applicants must have experience in one or more of the following disciplines: Hiking, Backpacking, Rock Climbing, Canoe/Kayaking, Cross-Country Skiing, Mountain Biking. Past experience leading outdoor trips is a plus, but not necessary. Must have or are willing to obtain CPR and Wilderness First Aid certifications. Click here to apply.
Assist with design and layout of Department of Recreation promotional materials (flyers, brochures, ads). Use WordPress to make updates to department website. Not accepting applicants at this time.
Group Exercise Instructor
Group Exercise Instructors lead members in a group environment through safe, effective, and motivating exercise classes including Spinning, Body Pump, Body Combat, Freestyle, Zumba, and more. Instructors are prepared to instruct each class matching the set class description. Certification, experience and current CPR are required. Click here to apply.
Instructional Class Instructor
Instructors provide safe, effective, and motivating instructional classes to the pre-registered participants through Dance, Yoga, Pilates, Martial Arts, Golf, and more. Instructors are prepared to instruct each class matching the set class description. Certification, experience and current CPR required. Click here to apply.
PennRec is committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity and actively encourages applications from all members of the Penn community. Application and interview questions will be developed based on the information in this job description.
Additionally, PennRec employees are expected to provide a safe, enjoyable, service-oriented environment for customers/participants at all times.
Definition and Purpose:
Intramural Sports Officials are responsible for providing an atmosphere of fun in a competitive, yet safe, environment. Officials must be able to implement Intramural Sports policies and playing rules in order to maintain an appropriate level of control, fairness, and safety. They should maintain a positive attitude on-site and should always be striving to improve their officiating skills.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Officiate Intramural contests, sport cub practices and events, and special events during evening and weekend hours.
- Assist with pre and post-game logistics and administrative functions
- Assist with preparation and inspection of the game site according to departmental, divisional, and university risk management policies and procedures
- Understand emergency/evacuation procedures
- Verify participant eligibility
- Attend all officials training clinics
- Provide a friendly, upbeat and customer service oriented environment at all times
- Enforce all departmental and building policies
Preferred Work and Extra Curricular Experience:
- Previous officiating experience
- Previous customer service experience
- Knowledge of game and rules and Intramural policies
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- First Aid and CPR certification
- Ability to officiate multiple Intramural Sports
- Participation in PennRec Intramural Sports training clinic
- Must be willing to work evening and/or weekends as required
- Ability to perform physical labor which includes running, standing and lifting materials or equipment up to 50 lbs.
Period of Employment:
Employment with this organization is of an “at will” nature, which means that the Employee may resign at any time and the Employer may discharge Employee at any time with or without cause.
Compensation and hours:
Pay range – Varies. 7 – 20 hours per week – Early morning, night and weekend hours required. Individuals must be able to work a minimum of five hours per week.
Click here to apply.
Provide a safe and pleasant aquatic atmosphere by enforcing rules and act as a resource when needed. Current Lifeguard and CPR certifications required. Click here to apply.
1:1 Swim Instructor
Candidates for this position must have at least high school varsity swimming experience and prior experience teaching. Candidates will be asked about intimate knowledge of swim training, including drills and technique questions, and will also be asked to swim. Candidates should be CPR/AED certified and must provide two references. Click here to apply.
Group Swim Instructors
Candidates for this position must have prior group teaching experience and it is encouraged that they be former swimmers of any level. Candidates should be CPR/AED certified and must provide two references. Click here to apply.
Therapists provide table and chair massage services on and off-site to members and non-members of Penn Recreation. Licensure, experience, and current CPR are required. Click here to apply.
Purpose of Position: The Recreation Assistant has an active role for the Department of Recreation through three areas of focus; customer service, facility safety, and facility upkeep. Recreation Assistants readily assist patrons by answering questions, providing class monitoring for the group exercise program, promoting department programs, maintaining towel service, and ensuring all fitness rooms and programming areas are clean, neat, and safe.
1) Complete a minimum of two (2) 4-hour shifts/week by reporting to work on time in the appropriate uniform and following all department policies and procedures in support of department mission, goals, and objectives and assist in the emergency action plan as needed.
2) Be readily available to greet, serve, promote program services information, and assist all patrons using the fitness facilities.
3) Perform group exercise class monitoring which includes ensuring the appropriate studio and closet doors are opened prior to the class start and secured when no classes are in session by communicating with the Operations Supervisor, ensuring all participants show required Group Exercise pass and Penn ID with consistent names prior to entering any Group Exercise class, tallying the number of patrons who attend each class and report to Operations Supervisor, and assisting patrons and instructors with equipment setup and equipment cleanup.
4) Rotating through assigned stations which include, constantly circulate the fitness floors to monitor the use of all fitness equipment. Immediately inform the Trainer Attendant on duty of patrons who appear uncertain about the use of equipment, who are using equipment improperly, or who need spotting. Completing collections, washing, drying, folding, and redistributing of towels.
5) Communicate promptly, professionally, and openly with your peers and supervisors.
6) Enforce all departmental and fitness room policies.
7) Take a pro-active role in the cleanliness, up-keep, and safety of the fitness floors by wiping down equipment, removing all trash or items, returning free weights and equipment to their proper place, keeping all walkways free from obstruction, and reporting when machines are not in working order.
8) Complete required floor coverage checklist, group exercise participation numbers on class log sheets each shift and report all necessary information to the Operations Supervisor on duty.
9) Attend all training sessions and mandatory staff meetings.
10) Perform additional tasks as assigned by your supervisor and assist the team with additional responsibilities as necessary (towel service, projects, etc.)
11) Assist in emergency action plan as needed
12) Other duties as assigned
• Strong interpersonal and customer service skills.
• Ability to work effectively with a wide variety of constituencies to meet program objectives.
• Previous experience in a health and recreation facility is strongly preferred.
• Must have a basic knowledge of fitness equipment.
• Must have a current CPR and AED certification. (training will be offered if employed)
• Must be able to bend and lift items weighing a minimum of 50 pounds.
Click here to apply.
Develop individualized exercise programs and educate patrons on proper training techniques. National Certification and current CPR required. Click here to apply.