Summer Study at Other American Institutions
Credits earned during the summer at another college or university by current Penn students may be used toward a Penn degree according to limits defined in the regulations of each undergraduate School. Students should follow procedures for transferring credit as prescribed by their home School and must get approval through their home School advising office before taking courses away from Penn. Note that credit for study abroad can be earned only on an approved Penn Abroad program and is not considered transfer credit.
Qualified students who wish to begin a graduate program while still in their undergraduate years are permitted to apply for admission as submatriculants to a variety of the University’s graduate programs. Submatriculation programs exist in many departments in the School of Arts and Sciences, in the Wharton School, in the School of Engineering and Applied Science, in the School of Nursing, and in several of Penn’s graduate schools, such as the Graduate School of Education and the Law School. With the permission of the responsible undergraduate and graduate faculties, submatriculants may take some graduate courses for both graduate and undergraduate credit while registered as undergraduate students.
Application to submatriculate is normally made in the middle of the student’s junior year. Prior to applying to submatriculate, the student’s program of study must be approved by his or her undergraduate academic advisor, the Graduate Group chair in the area of interest, and the appropriate Dean of the student’s undergraduate School.
Changing Academic Programs
Changing Programs within the University
At some point during their undergraduate years at Penn, some students find that their goals and interests have changed. Often this means a change in curriculum or pace of learning. The University stands ready to provide advice, and urges students who are contemplating changes in direction to draw upon the resources available in such offices as Career Services, Counseling and Psychological Services, the Office of International Programs, the Office of the Chaplain, and Student Health Services, as well as the advising offices in the undergraduate Schools.  
Transfers within the University
Students wishing to transfer from one School within the University to another must consult the undergraduate Dean’s office of the School in which they are enrolled, as well as the Dean’s office of the School in which they wish to enroll. The process of transfer may take several weeks to complete, so students should apply early in the semester preceding the one in which they wish to transfer.
Freshmen may not initiate a transfer until the end of their second semester (or until they have completed eight course units at Penn, whichever comes later), which means the effective date of transfer will be their third semester. Since requirements for internal transfer vary among Schools, students are strongly advised to inform themselves about the transfer requirements of the School in which they wish to enroll.
Academic Timelines and Leave of Absence
The traditional approach to college education (four consecutive years of study directly following high school and interrupted only by summer vacations) is by no means best for every student. There is a clear distinction between education and schooling: the former need not take place in a classroom and sometimes includes learning experiences as valuable to the student as any available at the University. Recognizing this, academic advisors in the various Schools are prepared to speak with students about leave of absence options.
Study Abroad
The expansion of career horizons, enriching intellectual engagement, fluency in a foreign language and a new personal maturity can be among the rewards of studying abroad. The University strongly encourages students to explore opportunities for such an experience, and makes every effort to facilitate participation in academically sound programs. To this end, the University recognizes over 70 undergraduate overseas study options in 34 countries in Africa, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Eastern and Western Europe, Latin America and the Middle East.
All Penn undergraduates who wish to study abroad for credit during the academic year must register for a recognized Penn Abroad program. Information about semester and academic year abroad foreign study, and how to apply for them, is available from the Office of International Programs (OIP). The Penn Abroad staff works with faculty in all four undergraduate Schools to assure the maintenance of high academic standards so students earn credit equivalent to University credit. Penn Abroad participants are charged regular Penn tuition and a study abroad fee. Students who are eligible for Penn financial aid may use it to finance the cost of studying abroad. Depending on the field of study and location, many programs are available for sophomores as well as juniors and seniors.  Most fields of study are represented and applications are usually submitted during the semester prior to departure. Early planning is important, particularly for the most competitive universities abroad. To be eligible for admission, students should have a B average (3.0), appropriate background in the subject(s) to be studied in the foreign country, and normally at least two to three years of college-level study of the language of instruction, depending on the program.