The website of the Office of International Programs, http://www.upenn.edu/oip/, maintains links to an extensive list of foreign university catalogs, as well as information about travel, work abroad, and fellowships in international education.
In addition to options for study abroad during the regular academic year, the Penn Summer Abroad section of the Summer Sessions Office offers a series of short-term programs open to all undergraduates. These summer programs, ranging from three to ten weeks, offer fully accredited courses on language, history, theater, literature, art history, and the social sciences. All courses are taught or supervised by members of the Penn faculty. Programs are currently offered in Alicante, Buenos Aires, Cannes, Compiegne, Dar-es-Salaam, Florence, London, Prague, Pune, Seoul and Tours. Information about each program
is available online at
www.upenn.edu/summer/ abroad/index.html.
Penn also offers a domestic option for study away. The Washington Semester Program (WSP) gives Penn students an opportunity to learn first-hand about the political and governmental process while taking courses taught by Penn faculty in the nation’s capital. Although designed primarily to fit the needs of social science majors, the WSP may also be suitable for other students with a serious interest in public policy, politics, and government. The program features four course units of study (including a research project) and a work assignment (internship) in an organization or agency related to the student’s career and research interests. The Washington Semester website can be viewed at www.ssc.upenn.edu/%7Ewashsem/.
Academic Services in the Residences
Each College House is a site of activity for Penn's system of academic support.  College House Deans serve as academic advisors and are knowledgeable in the curriculum and requirements of Penn’s undergraduate Schools and majors.  The House faculty, Graduate Associates, Resident Advisors, and peer advisors all serve as resources for their residents.  Course-specific academic support is provided to residents in various ways.  Some Houses have Writing Fellows, who assist with the development of papers.  Other Houses have live-in math and library advisors, available on a one-on-one basis.  Such residentially-based services, provided free of charge to all residents, are known collectively as The Wheel (http://www.collegehouses.upenn.edu/wheel/).  The Wheel provides support in areas including information technology, foreign languages, and career services. Moreover, through the Penn Mentoring Program (PMP), students in some of Penn’s most rigorous disciplines such as Computer Science and Engineering (CSE), Chemistry, and Operations and Information Management (OPIM) can join mentoring groups that often meet in the Houses, where they learn to employ effective study skills from trained peers.
Each Wheel component is different, but each provides help when and where students need it most.  The WHEEL makes Penn a 24-hour University.
The Critical Writing Program helps students with their writing three ways:  drop-in peer tutoring at the
Writing Center (3808 Walnut), Kelly Writers House (3805 Locust Walk) and Goldstein Study Center (lower floor, Van Pelt Library); online writing lab (email
critwrit@writing.upenn.edu) and by appointment—available to graduate as well as undergraduate students.  Appointments can be made online at www.writing. upenn.edu/critical.  Penn’s Writing Tutors will help you with the writing process from start to finish, including showing you how to proofread, identify patterns of error, define your topic, audience, and purpose; refine your thesis, organize your materials, and polish your style.  For more information, visit www.writing.upenn.edu/ critical and link to “Help & Resources.”
The Library Advising in Residence project is designed to bring Penn Library resources to students where they live. The Library provides convenient web access to electronic resources as well as the reference and instructional support to use them effectively. To accomplish this, undergraduate research consultants (http://gethelp.library.upenn. edu/advisors/) are available upon request to meet with students in their College Houses. Their job is to provide one-on-one help to residents, including how to use the Penn Library website (http://www.library.upenn.edu), networked databases (http: //www.library.upenn.edu/ research/researchbasics.html), and other web resources
for research.
Penn is committed to providing computer support and advising for all students. To achieve this, every College House hires a team of Information Technology Advisors (ITAs) to assist students with computer questions and problems.  ITAs also staff computer labs in each College House.  The College House Computing website (www.rescomp.upenn.edu) offers current information and virtual computer support.
Quaker Consortium (Bryn Mawr, Haverford, and Swarthmore)
University of Pennsylvania students have the opportunity to study at Bryn Mawr, Haverford, or Swarthmore Colleges during the fall and spring terms of the academic year. Together, these four institutions comprise the Quaker Consortium and have a reciprocal agreement for tuition and the granting of grades and credits for work completed at any one of them. Penn students wishing to sign up for courses at Bryn Mawr, Haverford, or Swarthmore must be concurrently enrolled in Penn classes, must notify their home School office, must have a letter of permission from the Dean of the host institution, and must clear their course choice through the appropriate Penn department.
A transcript must be forwarded to their home School office upon completion of the semester for the student to