Green Living Certification
The Green Living certification, offered through Penn’s Green Campus Partnership, provides students with an opportunity to reflect on their environmental impact and to recognize the importance of their daily, individual decisions on the University’s sustainability initiatives.
We believe establishing greener lifestyles creates a tangible, positive impact on our campus. This certification program aims to engage Penn’s student community and inspire them to take further steps towards improving the health of our environment.
Certification is awarded upon completion of two sections: Required and Optional Actions. The 5 Required Actions are habits that are relatively easy to accomplish and provide the foundation for implementing more difficult sustainable practices.
The Optional Actions are organized into 5 categories:
- Waste Minimization & Recycling
- Energy & Water
- Involvement at Penn
All Optional Actions are assigned points based on a combination of environmental impact, difficulty of implementation, and cost. Based on the number of points achieved, participating students can earn one of three levels for completing the program.
Bronze: 20 points Silver: 35 points Gold: 50 points
Successfully certified students will then receive a special Gold, Silver, or Bronze decal celebrating their achievement. These can be fixed outside their rooms or in other visible locations to promote their accomplishment. Additional prizes will also be awarded dependent on what level is achieved.
Steps to Certification
- Read through the Green Living Certification Program Overview here for information and tips for completing both Required and Optional Actions. If you have any questions, please email us at PennGreenLiving@gmail.com.
- Complete the Green Living Certification Checklist in accordance to how many Optional Actions you qualify for. Access the form here.
- Submit your completed form and your College House Eco-Rep will contact you to schedule a room audit if your total score exceeds 20 points. The audit is to confirm that your room is in compliance with the actions checked off on the form.
- After successful completion of your room audit, your Eco-Rep will award you with the level-appropriate prize(s) and Green Living Certified Sticker.
- Try completing a higher level of Green Living by adjusting lifestyle behaviours and repeating steps 1-4.
- Your input is valuable during this first year of the Green Living program. Please send any comments or suggestions to our Green Living manager, Bailey Rowland, at PennGreenLiving@gmail.com.
We encourage your feedback as we continue to improve the program during the first year. College House Eco-Reps and the Green Living Certification Manager (Bailey Rowland: PennGreenLiving@gmail.com) are also available to talk with you about your application and to answer any questions about the program.
With your help, we can reach the University’s Climate Action Plan goals through minimizing waste, reducing energy and water consumption, and building a culture of sustainability throughout all parts of University life.