The new Edward W. Kane Park, marked its official opening to the University community on June 11, with a ribbon-cutting celebration attended by Mr. Kane, Craig Carnaroli, University EVP, and Anne Papageorge, VP Facilities & Real Estate. The triangle-shaped park, located in front of the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (HUP) at 33rd and Spruce Streets, opened to pedestrian traffic in early December 2012. Landscaping was added in the spring, ready-ing the park for visitors and commuters.
The project, supported by a gift from Edward W. Kane, C '71, turns the asphalt parking lot known as Lot 8 into a public green space for the enjoyment by Penn community members and campus visitors. The park features benches, lighting, seasonal plantings, street trees, decorative paving, and a lawn area. Sustainability stats for the new open space plantings include 21 total trees planted, over 300 shrubs throughout, more than 400 grasses, 1300 daffodils, and nearly 8000 perennials and ground cover.
The establishment of this space also transforms Lot 6, the parking spaces at the southwest corner of Franklin Field, into a new location for street vendors, complete with electrical infrastructure and landscaping.