Welcome New Students
Become a part of Penn's sustainability movement
Welcome Class of 2018! Penn is committed to reducing its environmental footprint, and students play a large role in contrbuting to sustainability initiatives on campus. Read about all the ways that you can become involved in helping make the university a greener place:
Green Your Move-In
● Coordinate with your roommate on what you will share—such as televisions, mini-fridges, and game consoles—so you don’t purchase unnecessary items.
● Put CFLs (compact fluorescent light bulbs) in all of your lamps to save energy.
● Bring reusable cups, plates and utensils.
● Bring a reusable water bottle and a water filter.
● Penn is a bike-friendly campus. Bring your own bike or consider renting one through Penncycle.
● Recycle your cardboard boxes and plastic containers after you've moved in. Don't forget that bubble wrap and packing peanuts are not recyclable!
Reduce Your Footprint
● Familiarize yourself with Penn's recycling guidelines. Penn offers single stream recycling throughout campus, which means you can put all your glass, metal, plastic, paper, and cardboard in the same recycling bin.
● Reduce your energy consumption
♢ Use CFLs instead of inefficient incandescent bulbs.
♢ Set energy-saving features on your computer
♢ Turn off the lights when you leave the room.
♢ Open the windows rather than using energy-intensive air conditioning
● Take these simple steps to save water
♢ Turn off the faucet when brushing your teeth and take short showers
♢ Report leaky faucets to Facilities
♢ Only do full loads of laundry and use the "Bright Colors" (cold water) setting
● Become Green Living Certified and win prizes for adopting green behaviors. Read our program manual to learn other ways to minimize waste, save energy and water, purchase green products, and adopt a variety of environmentally friendly habits.
● Visit the Get Involved page to learn more about
♢ Penn's Eco-Reps program
♢ Campus-wide campaigns
♢ Competitions and certification programs
● Join a student group of the Student Sustainability Association at Penn (SSAP)
Become an Expert
● Explore the Green Campus Partnership website
● Visit the FAQ page to learn the basics about Penn's environmental commitments
● Read Penn's Climate Action Plan to learn more about how the University is committed to:
♢ Conserving Energy
♢ Designing Green
♢ Reducing Emissions
♢ Minimizing Waste
♢ Learning sustainability
Contact us at email@example.com with any additional questions.