- President's Engagement Prizes
- Fellowship Advising
- Fellowships Directory
- Endorsement Process for Rhodes, Marshall, and Mitchell
- Information Sessions and Workshops
- Learning Outcomes
- Letters of recommendation for fellowships
- Past Recipients
- Other Funding Resources
- UK Programs
- Records Access and Confidentiality Statements
The Queen Elizabeth Scholarship, made possible by the generosity of Sir Walter Annenberg, is intended to encourage the historic friendship between the United States and the United Kingdom. The scholarship is awarded to outstanding students of the University of Pennsylvania and the University of Oxford. Penn will send a PhD student to Oxford every three years and Oxford will send a PhD student to Penn. The next Penn student will be sent to Oxford in the Fall of 2016 for one academic year. The Fellowship covers all fees and provides a stipend of £8000.
Eligibility and Qualifications
Applications must be at the dissertation stage or in the final stages of course work in pursuit of a PhD in any subject taught at Oxford University. Preference will be given to American citizens.
Application Procedures and Selection Criteria
The application consists of:
- Application cover sheet (a link will be provided in Fall 2015)
- Curriculum vitae
- Description, as detailed as possible, of coursework or research to be undertaken at Oxford University, including, if available, the name(s) of person(s) with whom the applicant wishes to work.
- Two letters of support from academic referees
- Official undergraduate and graduate transcripts
Applicants must indicate a choice from among the graduate colleges of Oxford:
- Wolfson College
- St. Cross College
- Green College (mainly medical, biological and environmental science)
- St. Antony’s College (international relations, politics, economics and area studies)
- Nuffield College (social science)
Candidates who are currently enrolled Penn students should create a single pdf of the required application materials in the order listed above and complete and submit the application form at https://secure.www.upenn.edu/curf/form/fellowships-internal-application
Candidates who are NOT currently enrolled Penn students should create a single pdf of the required application materials above in the order listed above and complete and submit the application form at http://www.upenn.edu/curf/form/fellowships-internal-application-non-pennkey
All applicants must submit these materials in a single file in .pdf format. No other format will be accepted. To create a copy of your Penn transcript, go to Penn InTouch and print your transcript to pdf. (If you don’t have Adobe Acrobat installed on your computer, download the free installer to obtain the free version of Adobe or use a Penn computer that has Adobe Acrobat installed.) “Print” and save each document as a pdf, then create a single pdf file as indicated above by navigating to Acrobat’s “File -> Create -> Combine Files into a Single PDF” feature.
Application deadline: January 30, 2016.
All applications will be reviewed by a Penn committee. A ranked short list of nominees will be forwarded to Oxford at the end of February 2016. In the event that there is more than one application per Penn department, the department chair will be asked to rank order the applicants internally before the final review.
Dr. Wallace Genser
Center for Undergraduate Research and Fellowships
The ARCH, 3601 Locust Walk
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6224
Please call 215-746-6488 to schedule an appointment