The Queen Elizabeth Scholarship, made possible by the generosity of Sir Walter Annenberg, is intended to encourage the historic friendship between the United States and the United Kingdom. The scholarship is awarded to outstanding students of the University of Pennsylvania and the University of Oxford. Penn will send a PhD student to Oxford every three years and Oxford will send a PhD student to Penn. The next Penn student will be sent to Oxford in the Fall of 2015 for one academic year. The Fellowship covers all fees and provides a stipend of approximately £7000.
Eligibility and Qualifications
Applications must be at the dissertation stage or in the final stages of course work in pursuit of a PhD in any subject taught at Oxford University. Preference will be given to American citizens.
Application Procedures and Selection Criteria
The application consists of:
- Application cover sheet
- Curriculum vitae
- Description, as detailed as possible, of coursework or research to be undertaken at Oxford University, including, if available, the name(s) of person(s) with whom the applicant wishes to work.
- Two letters of support from academic referees
- Official undergraduate and graduate transcripts
Applicants must indicate a choice from among the graduate colleges of Oxford:
- Wolfson College
- St. Cross College
- Green College (mainly medical, biological and environmental science)
- St. Antony’s College (international relations, politics, economics and area studies)
- Nuffield College (social science)
Application materials must be submitted to CURF, The ARCH, 3601 Locust Walk. Materials can arrive altogether or separately; recommendations must be confidential. Only one copy of each item is required.
Application deadline: January 30, 2015.
All applications will be reviewed by a Penn committee. A ranked short list of nominees will be forwarded to Oxford at the end of February 2015. In the event that there is more than one application per Penn department, the department chair will be asked to rank order the applicants internally before the final review.
Center for Undergraduate Research and Fellowships
The ARCH, 3601 Locust Walk
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6224